Today is Earth Day, and homosapiens all over the world are celebrating the Blue Planet in a myriad of ways. Also, since Earth Week lasts from April 20th to the 24th, this week is the high point of environmental activities and awareness all around the globe.
But what about during the rest of the year? Here are some practical ways to show your love for our green earth—today, for the remainder of the week, and all year round.
1. Plant a tree. Earth Day often coincides roughly with Arbor Day, so it’s the perfect time to take part in this recognized Earth Day activity.
2. Celebrate with NASA. In addition to events being held on Earth Day in California, Virginia, and Washington D.C., NASA is inviting people to share your views of Earth via Instagram, Twitter, Google+, or Vine—using the hashtag #NoPlaceLikeHome.
3. Attend an Earth Day fair. Search for events in your area here.
4. Purchase clean-energy products. At Solarrific, we are celebrating Earth Week with discounts on the following products (while supplies last):
The following radios are only $10 each, this week only (click images for product information):
Our Clip It/Squeeze It Flashlight is $5 (click image for product information):
Our Solar Cap Light is $10 (click image for product information):
5. Prepare eco-friendly meals. Using locally produced, organic ingredients that have little impact on the environment, devote this week to making special meals that use fewer resources than traditional boxed dinners. Clean up afterwards by using the low-water dishwashing method.
6. Pick up trash. This week, be mindful of noticing litter in and around your community, and place refuse in the trash when you see it, rather than walking on. Even better, contact a local community group and help them with their trash pick-up efforts.
7. Travel smarter. Find a carpool service or better utilize public transportation.
8. Make your garden green. Transform your outdoor space into a clean energy oasis by planting wildflowers and oxygen-producing trees, enhancing your landscaping with solar-powered lights, and installing a solar-powered water fountain.
9. Join a group. Volunteer, donate, or educate yourself and your family about the environment by becoming a part of a local group. Here’s a list to get you started.
However you choose to celebrate the earth, be it with small changes within your own home and family or by participating on a larger scale, we invite you to make Earth Day every day!